2 thick slices of braising steak
Braising steak is best cooked slowly. Perfect for the slow cooker!
RICH BRAISED BEEF WITH MELTING ONIONS
• Dust the beef slices with seasoned flour and brown the surfaces very quickly. Set aside.
• In a large pan, heat 2 tablespoons of butter or dripping and fry lots of thinly sliced onion rings gently to caramelise them. Be patient, you don’t want to crisp them! In the final few minutes add minced garlic.
• Stir in beef stock, add large flat mushrooms and the casserole steak, some Worcestershire sauce to taste and black pepper.
• Transfer to a thick casserole pan and place in a hot oven for 20-30minutes. Do Not bring to the boil.
• Reduce oven to a low heat, cover and cook very gently for 4-5 hours not letting the mixture simmer or boil.
• Alternatively place the pre-browned beef and caramelised onions with all the other ingredients in a slow cooker, and follow the manufacturers instructions.
The images in our online shop and weight options are indicative. Our animals are not a uniform size, and there is variation in the level of marbling and fat cover in our beef and lamb. As a result, we cannot guarantee the meat you receive will look exactly like the photograph, and sometimes it’s not possible to achieve the higher weights, particularly of steaks. You will only be charged for the weight of meat supplied.