Delicious slowly cooked in a red wine stock
• Preheat oven to 165º C
• Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper.
• In a large frying pan brown the lamb shanks on all sides.
• Remove from pan and put into a large casserole dish to keep warm
• In the same frying pan put in carrots, onions, garlic, bay leaves and rosemary and cook slowly until nicely coloured.
• Pour in the red wine, beef stock, and brown sugar into the frying pan and stir gently bringing it to a low boil.
• Pour the wine mixture over the lamb shanks
• Cover; put in oven and cook for 2 1/2 – 3 hours until very tender.
• Remove the lamb shanks and keep warm and skim the fat off the top of the red wine juices. reduce them if necessary.
• Mix together the cornflour with just a bit of cold water and whisk the cornflour mixture into the red wine juices until desired consistency.
• Serve on individual plates.
The images in our online shop and weight options are indicative. Our animals are not a uniform size, and there is variation in the level of marbling and fat cover in our beef and lamb. As a result, we cannot guarantee the meat you receive will look exactly like the photograph, and sometimes it’s not possible to achieve the higher weights, particularly of steaks. You will only be charged for the weight of meat supplied.